7 Steps for Listening in Conflict
• Keep an open mind, even if you disagree.
• Keep your tone of voice, facial expression and body language neutral.
• Try to put yourself in the other person’s shoes.
• Breathe deeply and refrain from interrupting.
• Paraphrase what was said and ask for clarification where needed.
• Be respectful even when angry.
• Give your point of view after you’ve fully heard the other person out.
|Taking the high road prevents moments like this.|
|Avoid preaching and criticizing.|
|Model how to listen so they can do it too.|
What Do You Think? To leave a comment, click on the word “comments”Write your comment in the box, then click on “Select profile . . .” If the top group of options doesn’t apply to you, select “Name/URL” to comment with your name (you can leave the URL part blank), or select “Anonymous.”