- Make kindness the expected norm in your class or home.
- Model, teach, reinforce and expect kindness, compassion, respectful behavior. If you’re a teacher, weave in a lesson a week and follow up. If you’re a parent, have family meetings to reinforce and problem-solve.
- Never look the other way when bullying or cruelty occur. Confront them immediately.
- Hold offenders accountable: have them make amends; give a consequence; follow up.
- Teach kids to be upstanders for peers who are picked on.*
- Teach your kids how to resolve conflicts and manage anger. **
- Give lots of positive recognition for kind behaviors: acknowledge, describe, reward, expect.
* For a free downloadable lesson on teaching kids to be upstanders, click here.
** For steps to resolving conflicts, click here.
|You can stop mean behaviors before they get out of hand.|
What Do You Think? To comment, e-mail Naomi@LearningPeace.com or click on the word “comments” below. Write your comment in the box, then click on “Select profile . . .” If the top group of options doesn’t apply to you, select “Name/URL” to comment with your name (you can leave the URL part blank), or select “Anonymous.”